Saturday, May 25, 2013

Gardening


Last weekend, Erin and I tried to start the tiller with no luck (even looked up the instructions on the internet).    So I went ahead with a shovel and got about a third of the garden turned over.  We'll call this the before picture. 


Today, I got the rest of it turned over and weeded.  There were a bunch of wildflowers that came up again from last summer (guess those were perennials - awesome!) and some oregano (lower left), too. 


Then, I went on a plant and seed buying mission (I also stopped at Cassie's to pick up the seeds I'd ordered from rareseeds.com). I was going to cut back, keep it manageable this year - but I pretty much failed at that.  I'll just have to be better about cooking, sharing, or freezing vegetables than I ever have been ;)


And here's the after picture.  You're looking at: oregano, basil, sage, green onions, green beans, purple green beans, zucchini, swiss chard, kale, sugar snap peas, peppers (serrano, cayenne, jalapeno, green, and banana), tomatoes (brandywine, roma, sweet 100 cherry, beefsteak/another cherry (not sure which one I planted)), sunflowers all along the back, and the wildflowers from last summer in the upper left. 

1 comment:

Stina said...

Wish I lived next door so I could benefit. :) What rare seeds did you get? Didn't know there was such a thing. :) I should plant sunflowers in my garden!